CLOSED POLL: But please help contribute to options, I'll rerun. What prescription meds have worked for you?

relaunched here: POLL: The Big Med Poll: What is helping/helped you? - User Polls šŸ“Š - mvertigo.org vestibular disorders support forum

Sorry guys!! Bit off more than I could chew - made some major omissions will re-run once iā€™ve confirmed content with everyoneā€™s input, please re-vote when it goes live. In the meantime please post on this thread if you think iā€™ve missed something significant that canā€™t be captured in existing options.

Only select if you believe they have helped you, you can select more than one (in case you are on a combo):

• A tricyclic antidepressant (e.g. Amitriptyline, Noritriptyline)
  • An SSRI (e.g. Zoloft (Sertraline), Lexapro (Escitalopram), Paxil (Paroxetine), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Citalopram (Celexa), etc.)
  • An SNRI (e.g. Cymbalta (Duloxetine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) etc.)
  • An anti-convulsant (e.g. Topimirate (Topamax), Gabapentin, Pregabalin) except Benzoā€™s.
  • A beta-blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Propanolol)
  • A calcium channel blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Verapamil)
  • A diuretic (e.g. Diamox, a Thiazide)
  • A Benzo (e.g. Diazepam, Lorazepam) anti-convulsant.
  • Betahistine (SERC)

0 voters

If iā€™ve missed anything please respond to the thread. If Iā€™ve got any glaring omissions to the categories we can then re-run the Poll if required (I canā€™t add categories once live).

Check out the other Polls!:

https://www.mvertigo.org/c/user-polls

This is a good poll! Iā€™ll be curious to see the results.

1 Like

You can consider adding gabapentin, pregabalin to anti-convulsants. Folks might not know this is same category.

Do you want ā€œothersā€ for those not on the list. They can select others and respond to this thread what the other med is.

Canā€™t add additional category once live but can add those examples (DONE). Thanks for suggestions. Turns out Benzos are also ā€˜anticonvulsantsā€™ ā€¦ but think they deserve a separate category because they are a little ā€˜specialā€™ in their application, thoughts?

Maybe people can respond to the thread anyway, Iā€™ll add a note as such.

If we turn out to have a lot of missing categories, we can always re-run the poll.

We left out pizotifen just realized :slight_smile:

Keep the current poll, perfection is enemy of the good.

1 Like

Gah! Isnā€™t that a benzo though? ā€¦ so thats a smaller and practical tweak ā€¦

/edit no its not, major omission, closed poll, will re-run. Thanks for input!

So that makes this:

• A tricyclic antidepressant (e.g. Amitriptyline, Noritriptyline)
  • An SSRI (e.g. Zoloft (Sertraline), Lexapro (Escitalopram), Paxil (Paroxetine), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Citalopram (Celexa), etc.)
  • An SNRI (e.g. Cymbalta (Duloxetine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) etc.)
  • GABA analog anti-convulsants (Gabapentin, Pregabalin)
  • A Benzo (e.g. Diazepam, Lorazepam) anti-convulsant.
  • Other anti-convulsants (e.g. Topimirate (Topamax))
  • Pizotifen
  • A beta-blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Propanolol)
  • A calcium channel blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Verapamil)
  • A diuretic (e.g. Diamox, a Thiazide)
  • Betahistine (SERC)

Can we improve on this? Might be worth breaking out Ami and Nori since they are so popular?

What about meclizine? I use it ā€œas needed.ā€

Works for me, iā€™ll add.

you can put Pizotifen under antihistamines. Meclizine is an antihistamine too and can be added to same group.

According to Wikiwonderful, ā€œPizotifen is a serotonin antagonist acting mainly at the 5-HT2A and 5HT2C receptors. It also has some activity as an antihistamine as well as some anticholinergic activity.[11]ā€ I shall give it itā€™s own spot :slight_smile:

OK, thanks for all the feedback - Iā€™m going to shoot for this:

Amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant
Noritriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant (broke these out because they are sooo popular)
Other tricyclic antidepressants
An SSRI (e.g. Zoloft (Sertraline), Lexapro (Escitalopram), Paxil (Paroxetine), Prozac (Fluoxetine), Citalopram (Celexa), etc.)
An SNRI (e.g. Cymbalta (Duloxetine), Effexor (Venlafaxine), Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) etc.)
A GABA analog anti-convulsant (e.g. Gabapentin, Pregabalin)
A Benzo (e.g. Diazepam, Lorazepam) anti-convulsant.
Fructose based anti-convulsants (e.g. Topimirate (Topamax)) (now own category)
Fatty acid anti-convulsants (e.g. Valproate (Depakote)) (added, thanks Jess)
Other anti-convulsant
Pizotifen, a serotonin antagonist, antihistamine (added, thanks Vignesh)
Meclizine, an antihistamine (added, thanks Anna)
Other antihistamine
A beta-blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Propanolol)
A calcium channel blocker antihypertensive (e.g. Verapamil)
Other antihypertensive
A carbonic anhydrase inhibitor diuretic (e.g. Acetazolamide (Diamox))
An osmotic diuretic (e.g. mannitol)
A thiazide diuretic (e.g. bendroflumethiazide) (diuretics broken out)
Other diuretic (e.g. a Loop diuretic)
Betahistine (SERC)

Any last minute changes?

You asked about giving Topamax itā€™s own spotā€¦I guess some out there could be on Depakote, but I honestly donā€™t know if Topamax needs its own slot or you could just add Depakote to the examples, itā€™s an anti-eleptic, which is similar to an anti-convulsant right? If youā€™ve already made the new poll I donā€™t think itā€™s a big deal. I havenā€™t taken it nor is it in my immediate future but it would be good to know if some have success with it.

I was thinking about this poll earlier, I wish there was a way we could get everyone whoā€™s ever used this site to come back just to answer this poll. To get the largest sample size possible!

Totally agree Jess!

And in general would be so so good for old members to come back and update us on progress.

I might look into a mass admin email to nudge people, but of course that will fail if they have changed emails or spam filters get involved. Not sure if thatā€™s being too invasive too?

By the looks of things there have been around 3.5k users of the site over the years, but of course a lot of those might have logged in, sniffed around, left and never have come back.

oh iā€™ve dug a bit deeper and it looks like you can mailshot all users with specific Trust levels, that would allow me to spam only the old regulars :sunglasses::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

Good catch, thats Valproate, a slightly different family of anti-convulsants, happy to add /edit added!

do you combine ā€œothersā€ in general for all categories

As even TCA have some other drugs in addition to Nort and Ami.

1 Like

Added an ā€˜otherā€™ line for each category, letā€™s hope we donā€™t run out of bullets! :slight_smile:

Wow, 3.5k users, thatā€™s incredible!! Even from looking around this site so much I had no idea. I donā€™t know about a mass e-mail to all users past and present either, I suppose it could be too invasive. Especially if there are those out there that no longer use the site because they donā€™t want to be reminded of such a tough time in their lives, or those that are still struggling years after visiting this site. However it would be useful data for usā€¦

1 Like

Relaunched poll now live here: POLL: The Big Med Poll: What is helping/helped you? - User Polls šŸ“Š - mvertigo.org vestibular disorders support forum