Chiropractic Care

So a friend of mine mentioned to me today that she has had “MAV” before after talking a little bit how my dizziness and headaches/migraines have worsened recently. She told me that she went to a chiropractor to find that she had tense muscles in her neck and shoulders. She was telling me that some of the tense knots in her shoulders and neck were blocking brain signals in the brain stem.

she mentioned to not get an adjustment, but to just have the tense muscles massaged and rubbed. Funny thing is that I also have these knots in my neck and shoulders.

Have any of you been treated by a chiropractor and felt better dizzy-wise after a session? Would LOVE to hear anyone’s insights!

Hi Ogdenman,

There’s a thread going now about physio, which has included discussion about chiro. Check it out here:

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/physio/3071

Also, in the information vault there is a whole section about alternative therapies, which includes chiropractic. It’s here:

http://mvertigo.cloudapp.net/t/chiropracy/1550

Vic

— Begin quote from “theogdenmancan”

She told me that she went to a chiropractor to find that she had tense muscles in her neck and shoulders. She was telling me that some of the tense knots in her shoulders and neck were blocking brain signals in the brain stem.

— End quote

Hi – the two main reasons that people get knots in their necks with this are:

1. Migraine attacks the neck causing the well-known “coat hangar headache/ neck ache”. Neck pain is referred to the head giving the sensation of headache – and they can be very bad. The problem here is that if it is prolonged and the muscles spasm and remain this way, this in of itself is a migraine trigger. It’s a positive feedback loop. Seeing a chiropractor may help to loosen things up and break the cycle but I would recommend a good physiotherapist over a chiropractor any day. A physio will only want to see you once or twice and that’s it whereas a chiro will tell you that you need to go see him or her for life (nonsense in my opinion). Neck “adjustments” are risky with a chiropractor. Just ask Wino.

2. A dizzy head causes the muscles of the neck to tense up. With that, the same thing I wrote in #1 can occur.

Constriction in the neck inflames nerves, causes pain, and you just feel lousy but blocking “brain signals” sounds like some mumbo jumbo the chiropractor told your friend. What signals? Gotta love how chiros will say something like that but never give specifics.

Good luck … Scott 8)

When I was going through my bad bout of MAV earlier this year I saw a chiropractor. To be honest, I dont think it did a thing for me. I have a horribly tight neck which I think is a big contributor to my migraines. I found accupressure and deep tissue massage on a regular basis seemed to help work out the knots and ease the severity of the migraines. Yoga with it’s gentle stretching helped as well.