Cheer-up: Make perfect IN-N-OUT burgers

Last year the Los Angeles Times printed the recipe for that fabulous sauce on the In-N-Out burgers. I made it this week and they got it just right. I actually made these delicious burgers. Let me pass it along and remember: your portion will be small so do not worry if there is a reduced amount of a forbidden ingredient. (As long as you are on the headache diet the rest of the time, especially no caffeine, no nitrates, no MSG, no aged or fermented items, etc.) I ate the burgers two days in a row and had no problems. Here is the recipe with just a few changes (the original recipe is in the parenthesis). Now the whole world can enjoy In-N-Out. Yum.

Sauce - for 8 (4-oz burgers)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 T plus 2 tsp ketchup
1 tsp yellow mustard
2 tsp dill pickle relish (they call for 5 tsp but not necessary)
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (wasn’t a problem for me)
1 tsp white vinegar (they use white wine vinegar)
1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp sugar
Mix all of the above. Keep covered in frig up to two weeks.

2 pounds of ground beef (80/20 will taste better but I used 85/15 grass fed organic and it was still juicy)
10 iceberg lettuce leaves (I used romaine)
8 slices beefsteak tomato
1 small onion cut in rings (I use shallots)- optional
8 slices real American cheese
8 white hamburger buns, toasted (I used shiny Brioche buns from Ralphs market)

Make and grill, or use pan grill (I did this), 8 patties (4 ozs each) - or 16 (2-oz) patties ( if you want it to look like the double-double) Season with salt and pepper. About 2-3 minutes per side. Add a slice of cheese to top while cooking second side. While grilling, toast the buns lightly.

Assembly: Lather 1 T sauce on top and bottom buns. Place two pieces of lettuce and then the tomato on the bottom bun. Then the shallots (optional). Add burger(s) and top bun. Serve immediately.

Animal style: Grill sliced shallots (they use white onions)in a little oil and add to the top of the burger.

Serve with French Fries and a Homemade Vanilla Shake

Vanilla Shake
For 8 (1/2 cup each) 110 calorie portions (you can double this if you want but I need to watch the calories so just a taste for me): 3 cups Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream + 8 ozs 2 % milk +
2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Please check my shopping list for the “legal” ingredients to use (mayonnaise, ketchup, frozen fries, etc) “What To Eat?”
(www.vertigotalesandtastes.blogspot.com)

1 Like