Car rides

I was recently diagnosed by my ENT with MAV… I seem to feel better during car rides/driving, but worse after I stop moving. Is this common?

1 Like

yes i have imbalance and tilting while walking. Driving i feel 100% , touch wood :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep me too. Love driving. Feel normal again.

(Although I have a weird mild ear pressure sensation in bad ear whilst driving)

I’ve noted before during attacks I’ll go for a car drive to feel “normal”. Although at stop signs or stop lights I’ll feel a pushing / pulling sometimes even when not having an attack. I’ve noticed now sometimes when driving towards higher terrains my left ear starts to get the inner ear fullness sensation.

2 Likes

These aren’t driving specific sensations, this is generic ear trouble. I get exactly the same sensations. Altitude may have an influence though.

my homecooked theory is that when you are driving, the brain expects everything to be moving, and it probably doesn’t make much difference if it is 1-2% off, because it will keep correcting as the information constantly changes. but when you stop, if everything is 1-2% off, the brain can’t figure it out, so it tries to keep correcting = sensation of movement.

i also get this if cycling then i get off my bike.

i haven’t tried flying a plane and landing it yet. might leave that one.

1 Like

Yes I hate this, I get this too.

One thing to add - when on a bike you are using ‘both ears’ simultaneously. When you walk its a ‘push-pull’ which switches focus on each ear in turn. If that’s out of balance due to a peripheral injury to one of your ears, you feel unbalanced and uncomfortable. In fact I’d say walking is almost the MOST uncomfortable activity (so long as you exclude bungie jumping or trampolining!! lol)