Can anyone help me out?

where do u live? when you asked your dr. about mav, did you actually say the abbreviation “MAV”? I said this initially and drs. don’t know what this stands for. You have to say migraine associated vertigo or vestibular migraines bc otherwise they won’t know that you are talking about. You could try an antidepressant like nortriptyline or amitriptyline which could help both with the vertigo and the anxiety and depression. I take nortriptyline which helps a lot with the rocking I have when sitting or lying down. Its not completely gone but it is much less severe.

what country are you in? i am really sorry to hear about your dr. not getting that you can just have vertigo not migraine headaches with this condition. I went to a regular neurologist who thought the same thing, that you could only have this when u have a headache which is completely false. My symptoms are 24/7 and my migraines are almost completely gone bc of the meds. I think the nortriptyline took about a month to work. however it doesnt help wtih my vision and my balance problems- my balance is so bad i can barely walk with a walker so in that respect the notrtip hasnt been helpful. im sorrry to hear you psych. said that so is he flat out refusing to prescribe this for you??? what does your primary care dr. think of this maybe they could help you? or else maybe try a different psych?

As far as I know bppv shouldnt produce constant symptoms…but im not really an expert on that. can u find a different otoneurologist to see?

no my rocking didnt completely go away but it is much more subtle, i honestly am so used to it i think it doesnt bother me much. can ur primary care dr prescribe meds for migraines if you explain the situation? try not to be afraid of the meds nothing is worse than this mav crap. i would try and find another otoneurologist who will hopefully treat u for mav.

You must try and eat for that, alone, can make you feel worse…try the migraine diet on here, if you already are not.

Hi Tippy,
the only advice I can give is to keep trying new doctors until you feel like someone is really working with you and understanding you. I’ve worked a fair bit myself with interpreters and translators in medical settings and it looks like English might not be your first language. Even though you express yourself very well and your comprehension is good… if the medical professional can hear a strong accent then sometimes they don’t explain things in enough detail because they assume you wont understand it.

Have you ever had an appointment in your first language? using an interpreter? Perhaps this could help you get your message across and feel like you are being taken seriously.

Not sure what country you are in so I don’t know what access to interpreters is like for you. Just a thought…Good Luck. Don’t give up.

Hi, my vertigo came on very suddenly it was intermittent but continuous like my brain was shifting on the left side and I felt like I was on a boat when I walked. I swear I could not live with it although compared to what a lot of people on here have it seems mild. My doctor thought I had BPV but when it went on for a couple of month and I went in there crying saying I could not function she sent me to a neurologist. She sent me for all the usual tests (MRI etc) and when they came back normal she said that they treat for migraine. I am now on Topamax for migraine and my dizziness is pretty much gone on only 25 mg. it was not much fun to start with I felt pretty awful but it has got better after about 3 weeks. I still have mild headache most of the time and occasional dizziness but have come to realise this is something I may have to live with and is better than the alternative. I was lucky to get help so quickly from what I read here. Good luck I recommend you find a good neurologist

Tippy – I am so sorry to hear you’re going through this. Everyone here has had a terrible time before they finally got the right diagnosis. I was also misdiagnosed with Meniere’s Disease for 8 months and have gone through like 4 doctors since to get to MAV.

Keep searching for a neurologist that specializes in headaches and migraines. They will know what it is.

With your primary care, many antidepressants (I am on Effexor) work as preventative migraine medicines at lower dosages. Ask your general doctor for Nortiptaline (I know I spelled that wrong), amitryiptaline (I know I spelled that wrong, too), or Effexor at 75-150mg to start. They also can take up to 2 months to really start working. I have been on Effexor for 6+weeks, and it wasn’t until last week that I started to really notice a difference. I was bedridden 2 months ago, and now I’m able to get around. Working on driving again next once I get a little better.

Also, go to www.dizzy-doc.com, and the doctors there, Dr. Hain and Dr. Cherchi are some of the best doctors in the world that diagnose dizziness problems. THey also have a TON of information about dizziness and treatment. Everything from medicines they use and the dosages they use, to natural remedies with supplements that work as well. Also check out Bucholtz migraine diet.

Not all doctors are good ones! Keep looking for a better one, start the migraine diet and the supplements. And as your primary doctor to start you on one of those anti-depressants. Again, be patient with them. It really takes almost 2 months to really start working.

I pray you find a good doctor soon and get your health back!

Dev