Botox?

Anyone tried Botox? Just curious as it’s the one thing I haven’t tried. Well, I haven’t tried acupuncture either, but that sounds like something that has to be done on a regular basis vs every 12 weeks.

Botox was suggested to me at the Migraine centre in London when I was having headaches everyday for 9 weeks. I also suffer aura migraines and the Botox can also work for that but I’ve not heard it working on dizzyness and all the other weirdness that comes with this condition. My consultant has never suggested Botox either. He says my brain is irritated and needs to calm down. He prescribed me nortriptyline and the diet etc, it’s all worked really well. Can’t you ask to be put on nortriptyline?

I’ve tried Amitriptyline once and had horrible side effects. I’ve actually been doing pretty well, but have been taking a low dose Klonopin at night before bed and .25 or 1/2 of an Ativan in the morning. Unfortunately, the benzos seem to alleviate the problem…both dizziness and migraines…but I terrified of being on them forever and have heard horror stories of people trying to come off of them. I’ve just been curious about Botox for a while, but the dizziness is my biggest complaint. My migraines with auras seem to be better now that they’ve got my hormones leveled out. Just a big, confusing mess! :confused:

I would go back to your doc and see about going on nortriptyline. What horrible side effects did you get from ami? A lot of people take a while to get used to new medication and it’s not always nice at first x

I was super dizzy when I woke up and felt totally groggy all day. Almost fell in the shower getting ready for work because I was so dizzy in the morning. :confused:

My consultant Dr Surenthiran recommends nortriptyline as it doesn’t make you as groggy and sleepy as ami. I had this conversation with my doc at the Migraine centre too who said ami is just a older cheaper version of nortriptyline. Only a consultant can prescribe nort as it’s too expensive for the NHS so if you can get it it’s surely worth a shot?

Dr S also said that when you have this condition your aura migraines take a back seat which has been true for me as I’ve only had 5 in 3 years. Maybe that’s why yours have cut down too x

I would recommend anyone with this problem to try Amytriptiline for at least 1 month. It did gave me my life back, literally for 2 years. That said, It was very very hard to get used to it and the side effects were quite bad to me too during the first month: drowsiness and feeling like a had the flu. I was terribly exhausted. The first weeks I even had headaches! But hanging in there was the best thing I could do, as I remained syntom free for a long time.

Hope this helps