Appointment with Dr Surenthiran

Hey jem :slight_smile:

Dr s is very quick in letting your GP know your diagnoses. The problem is that info gets lost along the way faxes missed etc etc keep on top of your GP surgery. Even once my GP and Dr S had made contact my GP asked me so how’s the headaches and do you have migraines ?!?!?! Dr S is behind us 100%! Are you hoping to get transferred to the NHS?? Xxx

Anna, that’s really good to know thanks. I will keep on at my GP. I was a bit worried as someone who saw Dr S in August said their GP still hadn’t received anything from him. I am hoping to transfer to him on the NHS yes, is that what you do/are going to do? x

Jen

I notice from your post Dr S says dairy products. Does this also including fresh and long life milk? The bucholz diet says aged cheese, yogurt and the rest of the stuff but does not say anything about milk.

Jem,
Thanks again for your post - my dear hubby read it & (at last) now realises now it’s not a question of ‘working up’ my fitness again and getting back to how I was before MAV hit. My jug is now two thirds full & doesn’t take much to make it overflow! (A great analogy!) Is Dr S going to give you the VRT ex to do? The VRT I did in 2010 started off MAV so have been reluctant to do any since. At the time I wasn’t on any meds so it may be different now.
Lisa - think of you often & hoping you are at least making a tiny bit of progress after such long struggle. How are the babes? I hope you are able to get some joy being with them & watching them grow.
Barb

Really great info! Thank you. It’s a good idea to worite it down so that you can refer back later. I hope you find some relief !!! :slight_smile:

Hi jem, unfortunately my husband doesn’t get insurance through work so seeing Dr S privately is not an option. He has transferred me to his NHS list so I see him in Kent usually. That said,when it came to the balance tests I worked myself into such a mess that in the end my husband made me make a private appt to get them out of the way quicker! So the last time I saw him was at Blackheath. The next time in January will be in Kent, the benefit of course with the NHS is that my GP suddenly became more understanding and does my prescription for nori more readily - awful really!! Xxx

Nabeel - I think milk is ok. It does not mention milk being off limits on the list.

Barb - so glad this helped your hubby understand about MAV. I know people too who think it’s just a case of eating healthily and exercising more to get fit again! It’s not how MAV works. I have got some simple VRT exercises to do. I used to do my own VRT for years but it doesn’t seem to affect me too much. i am sorry it initially caused you to develop MAV. Hope you are feeling ok anyway.

Anna - oh really, I didn’t know the GP’s were against private health patients. Hopefully if I move to the NHS to see Dr S then it should be ok.

Thanks all x

— Begin quote from “nabeel”

Jen

I notice from your post Dr S says dairy products. Does this also including fresh and long life milk? The bucholz diet says aged cheese, yogurt and the rest of the stuff but does not say anything about milk.

— End quote

Hi nabeel,
Dr. S put me onto skimmed milk - for me, semi-skimmed and whole milk are off the list!
Tony.

Yeah Dr S told me not to have any milk. He then said a little bit in your tea is ok etc just don’t have a lot.

Try Soya milk… You get used to it pretty quick.
Go for sweetened if you can’t hack the unsweetened. Much nicer

— Begin quote from “robertgreen99”

Yeah Dr S told me not to have any milk. He then said a little bit in your tea is ok etc just don’t have a lot.

— End quote

Tea contains caffeine though, does Dr S allow tea?

Dr S gave me a printed sheet entitled ‘Dietary and other measures to possibly aid in the prevention of migraine and migraine variant balance disorders.’

This is an exact copy of what it says word for word:

Dietary Measures - avoid the 6 C’s

-Cheese and other dairy products including yoghurt, fresh cream, sour cream and buttermilk
-Caffeine - therefore decaffeinated coffee, tea, coke
-Chocolate - not just chocolate but chocolate biscuits, cakes and drinks
-Chinese food - MSG (remember MSG is also in a variety of other foodstuffs)
-Citrus fruits and drinks - oranges, grapefruits, tangerines, clementines, lemons, limes (and pineapples and bananas)
-Chianti and other red wines, certain other alcoholic beverages

Other measures

-Regular sleep
-Regular meals
-No undue exertion/exercise
-Avoid stress

Also
Freshly baked bread and Marmite which have higher levels of yeast
Eggs can also be a factor in some people

NB
This list is not exhaustive and in a proportion of patients medication may also be required at some stage to control symptoms.

hi, i have been seeing Dr S.
He doesnt advocate tea - only decaf (though some choose to not have decaf either). I have kind of got use to Redbush (caffiene free) and currently eating a bit of chocolate now having not had any for about 9 months to see what if any effect it has…

Jem - thanks again for all info

Barb - thanks so much. not doing well, unfortunately. the boys are wonderful. they just need a healthy mommy.

most decaff tea is decaffeinated to 0.2% so i cant see it being a problem

Does Dr S allow normal milk Jem? I am not sure what butter milk is?

Hi Richy

Dr S did not say anything specifically about milk to me. He just gave me the diet sheet and milk is not on there. I don’t really drink it anyway so didn’t ask him but I looked up buttermilk and wiki says it is the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cream. It seems to be like a more fermented type of milk. I get the picture that any fermented types of food are off limit for migraineurs. Others have said that Dr S told them no milk except for a splash in decaf tea or coffee. Probably best to ask him at your appt. The Buchholz book does not say milk is a problem and it also allows normal cream, however Dr S said no cream either sour or fresh. Both Dr S and Buchholz say no yoghurt or buttermilk.

Hope this helps x

Thanks for the response Jem. I am going to steer clear of milk for now anyway and see if it helps :slight_smile:

are we allowed any cheeses?

What do people do for deserts. I’m bored of fruit :smiley:

are we allowed sweets e.g/ Rowntree’ss fruit pastels and randoms are labeled as no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. ???

Sorry to ask another question, but Dr S doesnt mention nuts, are they ok to eat?