Amitriptyline Newby

Hi Jw. I was advised by my consultant to go up 10 mg every 4-6 weeks. He said I wouldn’t know if the dose was effective until that point. However, I felt horrendous for a couple of weeks whenever I increased. Overwhelming fatigue, head pressure, imbalance etc. Being a teacher I waited for the holidays to move up a dose, as I couldn’t work for those first couple of weeks, this meant I titrated more slowly than he advised. However, I know for worse cases he’ll advise moving up much more quickly.
It was last summer, and a few months in, i felt ok to start cooking etc again. Feeling 100% is difficult to say as it’s such a gradual improvement. I don’t often say 100% as that’s big commitment! When I got to 20 it made a difference. Then perhaps 10 months and 35 mg after starting I felt ‘normal’ most days. I’m now at 40.
Follow your doctors advice. They know what that need us to do on an individual basis. Or at least that’s what I like to believe! This illness can get better, I hope you get some relief soon.

Thanks Scott. I just went up to 50mg of ami tonight. I’m interested in how I feel tomorrow. I also found out my mri showed slight compression of c3 and c4 vertebrae. My neurologist said he didn’t think I needed surgery but it could possibly be causing the migraines and imbalance. I’d be interested to see how many other members have had a neck injury.

2 Likes

I actually saw a chiropractor a couple of years ago. It was before the chronic 24/7 mav properly kicked off but I had just had an acute bout, at that time I thought it was labyrinthitis. When I she was doing her thing she asked me what I’d done, what kind of a trauma I’d had because whatever was wrong with my atlas/c1 joint usually happens as a result of injury or accident. I don’t have any idea what that could have been. I stopped seeing her when the chronic stuff kicked off but I’ve wondered if my neck was in fact part of the problem.

Good luck with the new dose. Hope its effective.

1 Like

hi I have been on noratryptiline just 10 mg per night only been taking them for1 month will it be safe to just stop taking them